Stumble, miss & hesitate

To: <6Pack@autox.team.net>
Subject: Stumble, miss & hesitate
From: "John Korsak" <jkorsak@heath-bloxom.com>
Date: Thu, 25 Oct 2001 09:40:17 -0500
Dear 6 Packers,

I have a problem that my mechanic and I can't solve.  I have a 74 TR6 with
overdrive that runs good.  The problem is that my timing needs to be set at
32 deg BTDC at idle to run smooth (yes, I said 32).  Setting it at 12 deg
BTDC at idle makes it stumble, miss and hesitate between 1500 RPM and 3000
RPM.  After 3000 RPM it runs fine.  Vacuum retard does not seem to be
working as it has no effect on timing while on or off (I don't think that
thermostatic vacuum control switch is working.  It has vacuum from carb, but
not at distributor).

I have replaced points with Pertronix system, replaced spark plug wires,
fuel filter, carb diaphrams, dash pot oil (10W50,stays full), and
distributor springs.  I have adjusted carbs full rich, but engine does not
increase RPM when I lift Air Piston 1/16".  I just finished checking
compression, and her are my readings:  (stock head &
cam)130,125,140,125,125,140.  We also checked to see that #1 piston was top
dead center with crank shaft indicator.  Tach cable points slightly away
from being parallel with engine block (just outside of fuel pump).

I also just checked my gas mileage.  A 200 mile trip this last weekend
resulted in only 22 MPG while I got 28 MPG when I went to the Trials (with
timing set at 12 deg BTDC). The TR has always started great hot or cold(with
choke).

Any suggestions?

John in Kansas CF25165UO