Persistent Valve Cover leaks

To: 6pack@autox.team.net
Subject: Persistent Valve Cover leaks
From: michael lunsford <mblunsfordsr@yahoo.com>
Date: Thu, 25 Oct 2001 06:23:54 -0700 (PDT)
Listers,

I am looking for help in regard to an incurable valve cover leak on my car.
For the past 7 years I have been battling an oil leak(s) in the area where my
valve cover meets the head on my 70 TR6.  In an attempt to cure this problem I
have purchased a Triumphtune aluminum valve cover, changed heads, blocked the
oil passage between the block and the head, replaced the valve cover gasket
numerous times  and put on an auxilary oiler.  I realize the oiler puts more
oil in the valve cover but I have reduced the size of the line orfice from the
block to the head to compensate for this problem.   I have ensured that there
is no obstruction from the valve cover to the carbon canister but the cover
still leaks.  I would attribute the leak to the increased oil flow to the valve
cover and/or overpressure in the valve cover if It hadn't leaked the same way
before I installed the auxilary oiler.  I also get some blow by around the cap
on the valve cover but have triple checked and ensured that the vent from the
valve cover to the carbon canister is free of any obstruction.

Does anyone know of a better valve cover gasket?  Does anyone have any
suggestions about how to cure this problem?  Any help will be greatly
appreciated as I'm running short on hair to pull out.

Mike Lunsford, 1970 TR6(O), Sapphire blue