Re: compatible clutch parts

To: <RPVanLuchene@lbl.gov>, <jay_welch@juno.com>, <6pack@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: compatible clutch parts
From: "Kai M. Radicke" <kmr@pil.net>
Date: Tue, 23 Oct 2001 21:35:15 -0400
The TR6 throwout bearing is a Triumph only part, used on the TR4A / 250 / 5
/ 6 and Triumph Stag.  Clutch Disc is also a Triumph only bit, not swapable
with other marques.  It is the Clutch Pressure Plate assembly which is
swapable with a bunch of other cars.

(and I've posted this before in the past... so save it this time, this is
correct information)

This information is directly from the 1984-1985 Quinton Hazell Clutch
Components book:

Clutch Cover Assembly
Q10028 (Quinton Hazell Part Num.)
Borg & Beck:  HE2847, HE3338, HE2499
Saab:  8712036
Unipart:  GCC139

Rover 2000 SC, 2200 TC    1973-77
Saab 99 Turbo 4 Speed    1977-
Saab 900 Turbo 4 Speed    1979-
Triumph 2500 PI MK.I, II, 2500 TC, 2500S    1965-77
Triumph TR6    1969-76
Vauxhall Ventora II FD, from ch.OV252010    1969-72
Vauxhall Ventora FE    1972-76
Vauxhall Victor FD 3300, SL (Estate)    1968-72
Vauxhall Viscount to ch.IV324999    1965-70

I don't recommend using Quinton Hazell clutches if you come across them,
they're garbage.  They simply have a very very nice reference book, which is
well presented with excellent information.

Now I will say this, the Saab non-turbo pressure plate assembly will work!
This is the same specification pressure plate as used in the Triumph GT6,
TR4A / 250 / 5.  However, THIS IS NOT the plate recommended for use in the
TR6 installation.  The non-turbo pressure plates are not built to the higher
specification of the turbo assembly, and thus can not manage the extra power
and torque effectively.  This is especially true if you have a modified TR6.
I doubt use of the Saab non-turbo pressure plate it would pose a problem on
the stock emissions strangled non-PI American TR6s.  But for the record,
most of the TR6 clutch lore surrounding the Saab pressure plates have
recommended the turbo pressure plate and it's part numbers.

Kai