magic clutch

To: 6pack@autox.team.net
Subject: magic clutch
From: bthomlin@smith-cameron.ca
Date: Wed, 5 Sep 2001 09:45:08 -0700
  I too have had the squealing from the Toyota release bearing . Thank goodness
, the tranny cover & interior was left out as the whole engine had been rebuilt
& a short tour around the neighbourhood without all the fixings  is always a
wise idea .
   If you inspect the Toyota  bearing closely & compare it's contact to the
fingers of the pressure plate ,you will see that even though it's bigger ,the
bulk of it's contact area is alot bigger in diameter against those fingers .
That HAS to take alot more effort for the clutch hydraulics to initiate .   The
whole bearing & sleeve is longer  than the stock unit , but slave hydraulics
will account for that.  Also ... the assembly ( from BPNW ) DID NOT have an anti
rotation pin on the sliding sleeve that moves each time the clutch is used.
  In my instance , I just went out & bought a "Standard" realease bearing &
installed that on the old sleeve . I DID relocate the anti rotation pin at 90
Degrees to it's orginal spot ( new wear point ) .
  The other important thing worth consdering is ... change ALL hardware when
you're in this deep ... clutch cross shaft bushings,
consider grease fittings each side, inspect & change  the pivot pins in the
clutch fork ( if worn ) ,  install a NEW taper lock pin in the clutch fork &
lockwire it !!!
No one will argue that the re & re experience on clutch/gearbox is a bullwork
job ... so give your self the best opportunity for success the first time !!
Mine now works fine !
I do plan to install an adjustable slave actuator & return spring ,so the
release bearing IS NOT spinning consantly at engine speed.   Two of our club
members did this conversion a few years back & have not had to do any clutch
adjustments since .

Good luck .

Brian Thomlinson   TR250