RE: Engine Cutting Out

To: "'6pack@autox.team.net'" <6pack@autox.team.net>
Subject: RE: Engine Cutting Out
From: "Bruce R. Miles" <bmiles@intinfo.com>
Date: Tue, 7 Aug 2001 13:54:52 -0400
I believe you problem is fuel related. We have had this exact situation 2
times on my 72 TR6.

I the first situation, the car had sat for quite some time and the fuel
line was plugged. Every time I would think that the car was running great I
would take off out my driveway (up a hill of course) and soon be at the
side of the road. (Sitting for 15-20 minutes would always "solve" the
problem but would come back quite easily) I blew it out with an air gun but
soon learned that this is not a good way to clear a blockage. (Once the air
gets through, it doesn't move any more blockage). I reamed the fuel line
with a flexible throttle cable from a lawn mower (an improvised tool) and
the problem cleared.

About 2 years later I was driving down the interstate at speed, beautiful
day, and had just commented to myself how well the car had been running and
how I could and would take it "anywhere". I increased the speed "a bit" and
soon found it cutting out again. I assumed that the fuel line was the
problem again but soon realized everything was fine here.

To make a long story short it was a fleck of dirt in my forward carburetor
that was the culprit this time.

To test on your car, instead of driving up a hill try driving the car at
3500-4000 rpm in 3rd gear and see if you can duplicate the engine cutting
out?

Good Luck

Bruce Miles

72 TR6 (Mine)