[TR] [EXTERNAL] Re: TR2-3-4 Engine and Rad Taps

Reihing, Randall S. Randall.Reihing at utoledo.edu
Sun May 2 16:45:02 MDT 2021

Hello All,

For what it's worth, I am a pilot and my recreational aircraft is a restored 1948 Taylorcraft with the Continental C85 engine. The wing tank fuel shut off is an original solid brass valve with a leather washer on the stem that helps stop fuel seepage out of the stem, but it is not perfect. That valve used to seep a drop here and there. My av gas is either red or blue depending on the octane. One day during my biannual check ride it seeped several drops onto the brand-new cream colored chino pants my CFI was wearing. He was not pleased. But at least avgas evaporates along with it's dye and it did not leave a permanent stain. But to prevent a recurrence the IA who does my annual inspection disassembled the valve, replaced the leather washer on the valve stem and lapped the valve stem and the valve body together, by hand, with Clover 400 and 800 grit valve lapping compound available at most machine shop supply houses and perhaps AutoZone, reassembled the valve and it no longer seeps even a single drop of avgas. The whole operation took about one hour. The valve has not leaked, or even seeped a single drop since and that was last summer.

Maybe that will work for some of these leaking or seeping fuel valves. There is a difference between a leak and a seep.

Best of luck to all of you that have this dilemma. I have found that the solid brass valves are superior to steel valves.

Randall Reihing
1959 TR3A
1948 Taylorcraft BC12D85