[TR] Scroll less seal fix

Tony Drews tony at tonydrews.com
Sun Nov 22 09:03:34 MST 2020

Two options -

Looks like Bob needs a new crank (the break will NOT polish out), the
new ARE / Marx / Viton / No machining required seal would be a great
option if the replacement crank still has the scroll.

If the new crank has been machined for the older seal, those kits are
available from Moss or British Parts Northwest.  BP Northwest also sells
the bare seal if you already have the modified scroll "housing" aluminum
bits - it's only like $10.

If the crank is undersize for that seal, you can carefully cut a little
off of the parting line to close it up and make sure the spring is 8
inches long (it can be shortened too).  The last few of those I bought
already had the spring at 8 inches long.

Here's the bare seal for the "I machined off the scroll" seal setup:

https://www.bpnorthwest.com/triumph/tr2-tr3-tr4-tr4a/engine-gaskets-seals/rear-seal-for-rear-conversation-cna417k-cna418k.html

Here's the complete kit for that setup:

https://www.bpnorthwest.com/triumph/tr2-tr3-tr4-tr4a/engine-gaskets-seals/rear-seal-conversion-kit-tr2-to-tr4a.html

Here's the complete kit for the "I'm not going to machine the scroll out
of my crank" setup:

https://www.bpnorthwest.com/triumph/tr2-tr3-tr4-tr4a/engine-gaskets-seals/rear-seal-conversion-kit-uprated-tr3-to-tr4a.html

Here's just the seal for that setup if you already have the aluminum
housing:

https://www.bpnorthwest.com/triumph/tr2-tr3-tr4-tr4a/engine-gaskets-seals/seal-rear-for-germany-conversion-kit-only.html

Cheers, Tony Drews