[TR] Gasket sealant for sump

DAVID MASSEY dave1massey at cs.com
Sun Mar 29 06:42:55 MDT 2020

 That's a good point.  It is likely due to over-torquing the bolts.  The stamped steel oil pans deform easily and torquing the bolts too much will pinch the gasket to the point that it will tear.  Do the Alpha's have cast sumps?  Cast sumps do a much better job of distributing the pressure across the length of the span between bolts.  They are much more tolerant of this sort of misapplication.

If the gasket it adhered to one surface or the other (either the block or the pan) it will be reinforced and much less likely to fail in this manner.  Using Ultra Gray and my two-step tightening procedure should do the trick as would using Form-A-Gasket #2 on one side and the two-step procedure again.

Dave