[TR] Gasket sealant for sump

bill beecher notakitcar at yahoo.com
Sun Mar 29 07:03:03 MDT 2020

I just did this a couple months ago and asked the same question, perhaps the thread will be in the archives.  Lots of answers, almost like asking for an oil recommendation.

After carefully checking all the holes for any bulging, assuming you have a steel sump.  I used Permatex Ultra Black RTV between the sump and the gasket and Permatex Aviation (the gooey brown stuff) between the gasket and the block.  Drop free as of this writing.

Biil

“Cactus Jack drinks coffee black......” M.Murphy

On Mar 29, 2020, at 7:39 AM, Jeff Scarbrough <fishplate at gmail.com> wrote:

> On Sat, Mar 28, 2020 at 8:22 PM Dean Mericas <dmericas at gmail.com> wrote:
>
> Today I had a massive failure installing the sump gasket using Hylotyte Red100 sealant. It seems to have weakened the gasket to the point that it tore around several bolt holes as I torqued the bolts.

This doesn't sound like a sealant problem...  It's made to be a gasket dressing.  How could it weaken a gasket, especially a stout one like a sump gasket?
** triumphs at autox.team.net **

Donate: http://www.team.net/donate.html