[TR] TR4 Investigating replacing the Armstrong lever shocks with telescopic rear shock conversions

Randy and Valerie DeRuiter deruiterville at hotmail.com
Sun Dec 6 11:01:58 MST 2020

Hi Will-

Moss-Europe still shows the kit for the TR2-4 live axle cars.
https://www.moss-europe.co.uk/shop-by-model/triumph/tr2-4a/steering-suspension/rear-suspension/telescopic-conversion-bracket-kits-tr2-4a.html

It seems a bit involved with brackets needed to be welded to the differential axle tubes.

A couple of thoughts on the rattle - I'd check the shock links very carefully as one step.  The rubber inside the link can perish so you can get a rattle even though the link looks ok.  The number one problem I had was the lever shock mounts would come loose and the shock would move a bit creating a noise.  Those bolts are hard to access, some use a socket headed bolt to get better torque on them.

If you are convinced its the shocks, you could test the theory by removing them and driving around for a while - the car will bounce more but if it still rattles it means the shocks weren't the problem.  I had a rattle from the muffler hitting the frame which might be a possibility.

Cheers
Randy