[TR] Installing Pertronix on a 74 TR6

Alex & Janet Thomson aljlthomson at charter.net
Sat Aug 15 15:15:05 MDT 2020

I’m not sure where I am jumping in on this conversation but from our experience on a ’73 TR6, make sure to feed the Pertronix unit with a full 12 volts, not the reduced voltage that you get at the coil. Yes, I also believe that there is part of the feed wire to the coil that acts as the ballast resistor. Feeding the unit “in front” of the ballast resistor would mean between the resistor and the ignition switch. When you feed the unit the reduced voltage via the resistor, it will start to cause ignition misses after 500 miles or less. Then, when you are on your way to the CT Antique Machinery Show, the car will die completely, requiring you to walk home and tow the car home with your 1952 John Deere 50 tractor. I’m glad that was only a mile and a half walk. By the way, the first time it happened, Pertronix was very helpful, providing a replacement unit under warranty with an analysis of deficient input voltage on the old unit.

Alex Thomson