[TR] battery, alternator, or gremlin?

DAVID MASSEY dave1massey at cs.com
Sun Oct 13 08:21:54 MDT 2019

 Hello, Peter.  I had a similar experience.  My ammeter suddenly started something similar in the middle of a drive so when I got home I checked battery voltage both engine-off and engine-running and voltages were normal.  So I concluded the battery was starting to fail.  The battery shop checked it with their big, heavy, fancy tester and pronounced it good but I was not comfortable with that diagnosis so I bought a new one anyway.  It was a seven year old battery and I had a gift card so what the heck.  I installed the battery and all was back to normal.
I probably could have run that battery for a few more months before it failed altogether but that could have been on the middle of my trip to Dripping Springs.  ON a Sunday.  On I-35 in Dallas.

As Randall said, you need both a volt meter and an ammeter to diagnose a problem.  Basically, the voltmeter will indicate the health of the charging system and the ammeter will indicate the health of the battery - but only if the charging system is working properly.  A charging system malfunction can give you the same ammeter reading as a failing battery so the ammeter along is not enough.  And a pending battery failure will not necessarily show on the load tester.
Good luck.

Dave