[TR] battery, alternator, or gremlin?

Randall TR3driver at ca.rr.com
Sat Oct 12 14:00:28 MDT 2019

> 1. Throw away you ammeter or ebay it) and replace it with a
> volt meter so you can see what is really going on.

I'd just like to point out that, if the problem had been a shorted battery
cell, a voltmeter would likely not have shown anything out of the ordinary.
The alternator would have charged 5 cells to the region of 13 or 14 volts;
which is a drastic overcharge but the voltage is still fine.  To really get
a complete picture, you need both.

But temporarily checking with a voltmeter is a lot easier than temporarily
checking with an ammeter.  If you want, you can even get a voltmeter that
plugs into a cigarette lighter socket.

-- Randall