[TR] Finally some progress

Paul Tegler ptegler at verizon.net
Sun May 26 18:53:01 MDT 2019

I've been pulling 136HP though FIS6's (might be down around 125 now)?
GT6 MKIII box for nearly 12 years now.
Long distance road trips to, and laps on, then driving home from Road
Atlanta, Watkins Glen, Mid Ohio and Lime Rock ....have never had a
single issue with that tranny.
It's not a week box.... it's the way the driver dumps the clutch,
attempts to power shift, or shocks the gears shifting the O/D under
heavy load? that will kill those boxes,,,and
having been rebuilt with the improper (too much) clearance between gears
usually resulting in the third gear circlip jumping it's groove from too
much side load, letting the whole box go to sh__.

note:? spec'ed use... slip the clutch with a D-type o/d when
shifting...not needed on the j-type, but neither is supposed to be
shifted in or out under load.

The GT6 has a larger (than the Spit box) tip on the main shaft that
rides in the end of the input shaft.? I rebuilt a tranny for a friend
that had that tip sheared off the end of the main shaft!
The half rings and collar were destroyed, Shifting was super hard but he
still drove it for awhile. That's how it was when he bought the car.

BUT.... after examining the break, you could see is was a stress riser
at one of the cogs on the shaft... it had been slowly cracking for quite
some time before it sheared . You could see 1/3 was totally different
metal texture...the other 2/3rd was the crystalline structure you'd
expect from a crack vs the slow 'rip' of the first 1/3rd of the break.
So actually...it was a defective or mis-machined shaft,

I've never seen a box (have rebuilt at least 12 now Spits and Gt6) with
damaged needle bearings...although I've seen massive wear on the shaft.
Simply stated...they were run with the improper volume of oil, plain and
simple.? Years back there was a massive issue with the supply chain, as
replacement needle bearings were slightly oversized causing all kinds of
problems.
Mike Ross (out in Ohio) did a great write-up on them years back.

Early and late boxes had different diameter synchros. At least the Spits
did, so assume too the GT6 boxes? (have never personally rebuilt a
MKI/II GT6 box)? I'm fairly certain the gear ratios never changed. The
other variance is a 17 or 22 tooth reverse gear configuration.
early/late..can't remember off-hand which is which

And believe it or not.... you CAN mount a J-type o/d to a three rail GT6
box. main shafts are avail...usually cheaper than the more common d-type
shaft.

ptegler

ymmv ...only yacking from personal experience?? :-)

ptegler

--
Paul Tegler
ptegler at verizon.net  www.teglerizer.com