[TR] Finally some progress

David Templeton davidt at opentext.com
Sun May 26 17:06:06 MDT 2019

For the longest time, it really seems like decades, oh hold on 15yrs ( really long story, a long boring story ).  I have been searching for a replacement gearbox for the spitsix.  Namely the gearset and main case.  Well, a number of weeks ago I picked up a MKIV-non-OD gearbox.  Pristine shape.  Yesterday, got ahold of a MKII GT6 ( KC series ) and today got another MKII GT6, again KC series.

Looking at all these parts etc and now I have a bazzilion questions, first the points I know

  1.  I know the input shaft is matched to the depth of the bell house and has less but thicker splines.  All good
  2.  I know that the input/first gear of the GT6 box is a different ratio than a spitfire.  I can scream a GT6 in first for a while ( younger year stunt, but still sounded cool )
  3.  The input gear has a different number of teeth than the MKIV
  4.  The mainshaft for the OD is different, I need to get one of those still to attach my OD unit.

Nowwwww, for the questions

  1.  The GT6 box is considered "weak", I know the needle bearings on the laygear are generally crap and that Quantum will put bushings in ( we will come to that )
  2.  What is the mechainical difference of the MKII ( KC ) and the MKIII ( KF ), is there any in reality that make a difference?
  3.  The laygears look exactyl the same between the MKIV and the MKII, are they really the same?
  4.  With the stated diffference of the input and first gear, what are the differences in the spit MKIV and gt6 MKII/III?  Again visually they look the same
  5.  In the end, what can I mix and match? does it matter? Is it OMG don't do this?
  6.  Can the bushings on the laygear, can anyone with a machine shop do this?  I john at Quantum still doing this?
  7.  Has anyone replaced the needle bearings with roller bearings?  Or not strong enough?

I need to be educated by the masters of this list.

Thanks
David Templeton

'59 tr3a - damn she is fast and wonderful to be driving again.  In shakedown mode.
'74 spitsix - there is a light forming at the end of the tunnel, a light where the engine and rear diff may talk to each other again