[TR] [EXTERNAL] - Re: Finally some progress

David Templeton davidt at opentext.com
Sun May 26 20:23:48 MDT 2019

I've never seen a box (have rebuilt at least 12 now Spits and Gt6) with damaged needle bearings...although I've seen massive wear on the shaft. Simply stated...they were run with the improper volume of oil, plain and simple.? Years back there was a massive issue with the supply chain, as replacement needle bearings were slightly oversized causing all kinds of problems.
Mike Ross (out in Ohio) did a great write-up on them years back.
Yeap, that is what happened to mine.  It was 2003 😊  thus leading to the second rebuild and the loosing of the box.

I've been pulling 136HP though FIS6's (might be down around 125 now)? GT6 MKIII box for nearly 12 years now.
Long distance road trips to, and laps on, then driving home from Road Atlanta, Watkins Glen, Mid Ohio and Lime Rock ....have never had a single issue with that tranny.

When it was running I never had issues either, barring the needle bearings 😝  That is why I find it interesting in such comments.

And believe it or not.... you CAN mount a J-type o/d to a three rail GT6 box. main shafts are avail...usually cheaper than the more common d-type shaft.

I do have the OD unit
[No photo description available.]
There is supposedly a good place out of the UK to get OD-mainshafts????  Other vendors?

I am thinking this refresh kit unless others have a suggestion https://rimmerbros.com/Item--i-RG1183

Ok, well your mileage has been exceptional so I would consider your experience worth following 😊

Next steps?

David