[TR] Puzzled by simple things. Looking for guidance

Randall tr3driver at ca.rr.com
Fri Jun 14 04:31:31 MDT 2019

I used a 3 ohm Pertronix coil, and so far it has worked flawlessly. After a new Lucas coil died in less than a year, I won't use Lucas again.

Another alternative is to check with your FLAPS. I walked into a NAPA store in a small town last year, and they had a 3 ohm coil on the shelf. It has worked fine so far as well (on a Ferguson tractor with the Standard engine). Price was over twice that of a Pertronix from Amazon, but I got to try it that afternoon.

For wires, I went with classic copper core wire, combined with plug connectors that have suppression resistors built in. The plug boots I used are normally sold for motorcycles, I found some 135 degree ones from NGK that fit nicely. On Amazon IIRC, but likely available at my friendly local motorcycle parts store :)

The other option I see is to convert completely to push-on connectors for the high tension leads and carbon core wires. There is a distributor cap available with modern (well, more modern anyway) push-on terminals that fits exactly in place of the original cap with the piercing screws. Used on MGB I believe, probably lots of other British cars as well.
-- Randall