[TR] Puzzled by simple things. Looking for guidance

Dave MacKay dave at mdmackay.ca
Thu Jun 13 19:17:32 MDT 2019

 Puzzled by simple things. Looking for guidance

Hello:

I’m looking to replace the coil and spark plugs wires on my TR3A. The car
has been converted to negative ground and has a Crane XR-700 electronic
ignition. I’m a bit unsure about what I need.

1) Coil

Using instructions that Randall posted several years ago, I measured 3.8 o
hms and 10.8 volts from my existing coil. That makes me think that I need a
12v non-ballasted coil. Is that correct?

The connector for the high tension lead (to the distribution) is a push on;
the two small terminals on the coil are threaded so that the wires are
attached with nuts (not Lucar-type connectors).

I would welcome any recommendations as to coils. I was thinking of a
replacement like Moss #143-220 (
*https://mossmotors.com/coil-ignition-push-on-coil-wire-lucas*
<https://mossmotors.com/coil-ignition-push-on-coil-wire-lucas>) or Moss #
143-221 (
*https://mossmotors.com/coil-ignition-push-on-coil-wire-aftermarket*
<https://mossmotors.com/coil-ignition-push-on-coil-wire-aftermarket>).

2) Spark plug wires

I thought this would be simple, but it seems not. I was planning to buy Moss
571-005 (
*https://mossmotors.com/ignition-wire-set-push-in-style-cobalt-brand*
<https://mossmotors.com/ignition-wire-set-push-in-style-cobalt-brand>) but
was told that they weren’t appropriate because of my Crane unit. I didn’t
understand why.

What sort of wires would I need for my TR3A? I don’t run a radio in the car
so that I don’t imagine interference would be an issue.  I had thought I
could just buy any old spark plug wires, but find I must make a number of
choices: resistor or non-resistor wire, solid core or braided, type of cap,
screw-in, etc.

What does one need to know to select spark plug wires for a TR3A? Any
recommendations?

Thanks in advance,

Dave MacKay

1960 TR3A s/n 68639L