[TR] [NET] Wire terminations

Randall tr3driver at ca.rr.com
Tue Jan 8 05:53:29 MST 2019

My preference is actually a combination of both techniques.

I remove the pre-formed plastic sleeve (if any), crimp the connector to the
wire, then solder the wire to the connector where it protruded from the
crimp (on the other side from the body of the wire).

The crimp provides a solid mechanical connection, that is less likely to
break under sustained vibration.  (Otherwise, the individual strands tend to
break at the surface of the solder.)

The solder provides a gas tight joint, so air cannot get in and oxidize the
copper over time.  If you've ever stripped old wire, you can see that the
copper wire has turned dark inside, even many feet inside the insulation.
That brown "old penny" color is copper oxide, which is a poor conductor
(technically, it's a semi-conductor).  Once a little bit of oxidation creeps
in, the joint starts getting hot under load, which of course aggravates the
problem.

The same thing can happen with a crimped joint.  Ideally, the crimp should
be tight enough that there is a strip of gas tight joint along each strand;
but that doesn't always work out in practice.  Solder provides gas-tight all
the way around, and you can see when it hasn't properly bonded with the
copper ("cold" solder joint).

Then add heat-shrink tubing to protect the joint and prevent vibration.

Believe it or not; my favorite crimp tool is from Horrible Freight:
https://www.harborfreight.com/9-1-2-half-inch-wire-crimping-tool-36411.html
However, I feel it's important to check them out before buying, to be sure
there is no slop in the joint, and that the jaws meet correctly in the
U-shaped crimp section.  I looked at a half dozen in my local store and they
were all slightly different.

PS, I also prefer solder over crimp for bullet connectors.  But it's
important IMO to select a bullet that fits snugly over the wire you are
using.  I've even been known to drill out a smaller id bullet to suit AWG
size wire.

-- Randall