[TR] Flat towing a TR3

Art McEwen amcewen2 at cogeco.ca
Mon Apr 1 08:07:26 MDT 2019

>All on a tiny bearing that normally only turns in lower
gears and neutral, normally with a generous supply of oil.

>Long time ago, I subscribed to "Motorhome Life"
magazine, where this exact problem was often discussed. Several imaginative solutions proposed,
including an electric pump that >pulled oil from the drain plug and sprayed it
back through the fill plug. Overfilling
was a fairly popular option as I recall.

Thanks Randall, it's sort of the answer I was expecting but it never hurts to confirm.

The issue with the trailer is my motorhome only has a 3500lb tow capacity so that means an ultra light (translate ultra $$) trailer.

I've seen a few MGBs being flat towed, wonder how they manage?

>I'll also point out that the TR3 is not a particularly
good candidate for flat towing in my experience. The front suspension has no caster, which
means it doesn't like to follow the side >forces when the tow vehicle makes a
turn. The front bumper supports aren't
nearly strong enough to handle that, even on a TR3A where they tie into the
front apron.

>If you want to flat tow, you're going to have to make up
a tow bar that reaches back to the frame, and is strong enough to handle the
side forces.

I would think you could fabricate a tow bar that attaches where the pan skid plate does and extends forward of the bumper. Oh well it was worth the ask...

Art.