[TR] IS THERE ANY SPOT ON THE ENGINE'S ROTATION WHERE THE TAPPET FALLING OUT...

Paul Dorsey dorpaul1 at gmail.com
Fri Sep 21 19:17:11 MDT 2018

Thank you everyone, I have found there is no such thing as cheap oil, but
that is proably not my biggest issue at this point.  I had this tr 3-4
engine running 5 or 10 years ago when I realized I didn't have enough time
for this project and threw in the towel.  At that point it had recently
been rebuilt by a well respected engine shop locally.  Unfortunately, I
didn't even periodically turn over the engine while it was in the TR3
outside under tarps. I had run it in-place for a total of about 5 hours
(varying the rpm's) after rebuild at this point.  And it seemed to run good.
     Now that I am back to continue the rebuild I notice that  one of the
pushrods for cylinder No. 2 has seriously come out from underneath it's
rocker arm.  I previously sent out a picture showing this problem, (if
anyone else cares to see it, I can resend it.)  I don't know how this
happened but I am back to turning the engine over manually in order to fix
this pushrod problem
  Several of you told me there might be a danger in simply removing this
pushrod as it may create a kinda "suction" effect, and if I am not careful
when removing it, it may 'pull' up it's tappet riding on the cam causing it
to fall into the engine.  However,  I do need to pull out the pushrod to
make sure it's not bent.  IS THERE ANY SPOT ON THE ENGINE'S ROTATION WHERE
THE TAPPET FALLING OUT IS LESS LIKELY TO OCCUR?

thanks,
Paul Dorsey  (hardly a shade tree mechanic)
60 TR3