[TR] Lead Substitute

Reihing, Randall S. Randall.Reihing at utoledo.edu
Mon Oct 1 11:15:01 MDT 2018

Checking the web I found that the Red Line lead substitute fuel additive is available through Amazon in 12 ounce bottles to treat 25 gallons for close to $17.00, plus shipping, and adds about $.70 per gallon to the cost of whatever octane is selected.

An alternative might be 100 Low Lead, or 100LL, aviation fuel available at almost any airport and add it to the auto fuel. Shell Oil Co.'s web site lists 100LL as having 0.56g/liter of lead per gallon, https://www.shell.com/business-customers/aviation/aviation-fuel/avgas.html,  which is about 560 ppm, or parts per million per gallon. I don't know if one gallon of 100LL could be diluted in today's auto fuel and be enough lead to for a TR3's valve seats.

An alternative might be to use a few gallons of 100LL ($4.75/gallon in Ohio) from time-to-time and maybe (hopefully) enough lead residue would build up to protect the valve seats. Click on this link to see 100LL av gas cost per state. http://www.airnav.com/fuel/greatdeals/long?type=1

Maybe one of the lists math wizards could research how much lead was in auto fuel before it was phased out and determine if 100LL can help.

Sincerely,
Randall Reihing
1959 TR3A