[TR] TR3 Alternator Conversion

Jim Henningsen trguy75 at gmail.com
Thu Jul 19 06:38:58 MDT 2018

Tom and others:

Thank you and all of the others for your comments. I love our group of experienced opinions.  For simplicity and time, I am going to install the three row aluminum radiator (got a great deal on it), yellow TR6 fan on backwards that I already had (free!), and the electric fan that came with the car as a pusher from the front.  The fan is wired by switch and only comes on by manual operation.  Just cleaned up the whole front of the engine with apron off, a little touch up paint, new fan belt, new engine mounts.  Will put some radiator cleaner in system when I test the cooling system and fans.  See if I can get any residue in the engine out.  Will top up steering fluid but no adjustments as it is already very tight in use.  Not going to touch the timing cover gasket or oil seal as there were no leaks in that area.  I may have to pull engine in the future depending on the severity of the rear oil seal leaks.  Haven't gotten a good road trip out of this car yet and am eager to do so even in the heat and humidity down here right now.

Still researching the alternator conversion.  Spoke to Moss yesterday and they will sell their mounting kit separately from the alternator conversion kit.  They don't list a kit part number but they could put it together custom.  I asked them if they could tell me the alternator used because I would prefer to buy one at local parts place with lifetime warranty.  The gave me the unit part number so I am going to call around today.  They said it is a freely available alternator.  They just didn't have the  name or car application.  Will keep you posted if I find out what it is.

Cheers and thank you all again.  I almost left the Triumph world a couple of years ago at a weak moment, but have since seen the light (or scotch and exhaust smells) to refuel my passion!  Without this group, I may not have come back.
Jim Henningsen