[TR] '3 ignition update...

Randall TR3driver at ca.rr.com
Sun Jul 8 09:28:21 MDT 2018

> The steps in the insulating washers go inside the holes in
> the moving contact spring and the condenser and coil wire
> tags so as to prevent them coming into contact with the
> threaded stud and nut. These two components are at
> earth/ground potential, and if the coil wire comes into
> contact with either stud or nut - either because the washers
> are the wrong way round, not seated properly, or the tags are
> between the washer and nut - the points will be bypassed, the
> coil continually flowing current, and there will be no spark.

Yes, exactly, but you said you did not see the coil being pulled down while
this describes it constantly being pulled down.

> But that I not the end pf the story, no spark at the plugs.
> no spark using a testing tool either.  Toasted coil?  Best
> way to test it?

You've got to have the voltage across the low tension part of the coil going
up and down (by which I mean a constant 12v to the 'hot' terminal, and
either zero or 12v on the 'points' terminal).

There might be other problems, but that is a first step.

-- Randall