[TR] '3 ignition update...

dave dave at ranteer.com
Sun Jul 8 11:46:56 MDT 2018

Fyi - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rJYJ3KvPhhY

Moss video on how to test the coil

-----Original Message-----
From: Triumphs <triumphs-bounces at autox.team.net> On Behalf Of Randall
Sent: Sunday, July 8, 2018 10:28 AM
To: 'David Templeton' <davidt at opentext.com>; triumphs at autox.team.net
Subject: Re: [TR] '3 ignition update...

> The steps in the insulating washers go inside the holes in the moving
> contact spring and the condenser and coil wire tags so as to prevent
> them coming into contact with the threaded stud and nut. These two
> components are at earth/ground potential, and if the coil wire comes
> into contact with either stud or nut - either because the washers are
> the wrong way round, not seated properly, or the tags are between the
> washer and nut - the points will be bypassed, the coil continually
> flowing current, and there will be no spark.

Yes, exactly, but you said you did not see the coil being pulled down while
this describes it constantly being pulled down.

> But that I not the end pf the story, no spark at the plugs.
> no spark using a testing tool either.  Toasted coil?  Best way to test
> it?

You've got to have the voltage across the low tension part of the coil going
up and down (by which I mean a constant 12v to the 'hot' terminal, and
either zero or 12v on the 'points' terminal).

There might be other problems, but that is a first step.

-- Randall

** triumphs at autox.team.net **

Donate: http://www.team.net/donate.html
Archive: http://www.team.net/archive