[TR] Question on Fuel pumps TR3-4

Keith Stewart keithstewart at bell.net
Wed Feb 21 17:23:10 MST 2018

I believe the $195 TRF pump is a much higher quality, made in Italy (like
the TR6 pump) version. Many of the cheaper repro units do not have clips to
hold the hinge for the priming lever in place like the original pumps.
Another repro offered by Moss (don't know if they still carry this pump) had
fittings attached to the inlet and outlet threads to strengthen the pump
threaded portion. Also, I believe the Italian pump has the rubber seal in
the bottom of the pump (like the original) that is designed to keep engine
oil out of the bottom chamber of the pump. Of course, if the diaphragm
between the upper and lower chambers fails (allowing fuel into the lower
chamber) and there is no rubber seal, fuel could also enter the engine oil.

Keith Stewart
keithstewart at bell.net