[TR] Thrust washer (bearings)

Bob Nogueira nogera at hotmail.com
Wed Aug 8 20:24:21 MDT 2018

The other day my TR4 engine developed an engine noise which sounded like something hitting sheet metal when ever the clutch was depressed.
I traced it to the flywheel ring gear bolts hitting the cover plate of the bellhousing.  Checking further I found that I could move the flywheel and crankshaft forward and backward about 20 thousands. I remember when I built the engine 15 years ago, the tolerance was a bit over the 5 thousands listed in the manual but nowhere near the current 20.
Anyone ever had this problem? How do I take up the 15 thousands ?
Also my cylinders are all currently showing 120 to 122 PSI. After I rebuilt it was 160 PSi. Leak down test shows all to be okay but right on the boarder of marginal. I 120 PSI normal for a TR 4 with 40,000 miles on a rebuild?

Bob Nogueira