[TR] pusher fan on TR6

Randall TR3driver at ca.rr.com
Sun Apr 1 12:06:39 MDT 2018

> My cousin's son's new to him 1971 TR6, has a pusher fan on the radiator.
> The stock fan is still there.  I am looking for opinions on the efficiency
> of that pusher fan.  Does it really help?  Maybe at idle, but does it
> block at speed?  thoughts and experiences, please.

My opinion (and experience) is that it does interfere with air flow at speed
(whether it is running or not), but only a relatively small amount.  I've
tried adding a pusher several times, and it's always made the engine run
somewhat hotter at speed.

Also, the stock fan on a TR6 should be enough.  If the car has problems with
running hot, IMO there is something else wrong and an extra fan is just a
band-aid.  There are lots of potential problems that show up mostly as
overheating; the ones that have given me the most fits (on other Triumphs)
have been small compression leaks, inefficient radiator cores, and mixture
going lean at cruise.  Of course I've had my share of other problems as
well, like a glazed/loose fan belt that slips, water pump failure, timing
advance not working and so on; but they are easier to find :)

So my advice would be to remove the pusher and start looking for the real
problem(s).

-- Randall