[TR] TR3 Leaf Springs

Reihing, Randall S. Randall.Reihing at utoledo.edu
Sat Sep 30 19:12:22 MDT 2017

I second Andrew. It's important to have matched spring rates side-to-side and front to back. Suspension engineers carefully calculated the design spring rates for all four springs based on a lot of factors but mostly on how the car would be used and it's anticipated normal and maximum loads.

If the driver side spring is the same age and mileage as the one that failed it may not be long before the driver side goes "south" as well.

Best to rebuild both at the same time and ensure both have the same spring rate.

Altering just one rear leaf spring that has failed from fatigue may alter the way the car handles when drive aggressively, and also just around town Not to mention the TR3's handling characteristics when you run out of rear suspension during hard cornering which might happen sooner with soft rear springs.

Randall S.