[TR] TR3A Horn Issues.

Dave dave1massey at cs.com
Thu Oct 26 05:33:41 MDT 2017

Obviously the problem is in the low horn.  If you take the dome off you can see the contacts and armature.  The way the horn works is the solenoid coil will pull the solenoid plug moving the diaphragm (which creates the noise) and a pin that actuates the contacts causing them to open.  The pin (which is grounded) pushes on an insulator which pushes the contact arm so that the contacts work as they should.  What happened to mine the pin punched a hole in the insulator (bakelite sheets) and grounded out the contact interfering with the proper operation of the circuit.  In my case, the contact the pin was contacting was the 12V feed and caused the fuse to almost blow (I'm sure if I persisted pushing the horn button the fuse would have opened up).

I fixed mine by making a new insulator using some .010" polycarbonate I happened to have on hand.  Works a champ but we will see how long it lasts.

Dave Massey