[TR] TR6 Mechanical Engine Problem

daybell7 at aol.com daybell7 at aol.com
Sun Oct 1 15:34:19 MDT 2017

My 1973 quit going at 65MPH without any indication.  I noticed some black smoke from the exhaust when it happened.  I was running the car fairly strongly for two hours or so after adjusting the HS6 carbs and getting the car back on the road after a few years.

The car will not start and doesn't want to start.  Fuel and spark appear to be OK.  I tried starting fluid to no avail, plus I have spark at a plug.

I intend to clean the plugs if they are fouled, check static timing, by-pass ignition switch power to the coil, and confirm the engine will turnover by hand.

For some reason, I suspect the timing chain.  How can I check a problem with the timing chain?  What else can I try?

Thank-you,
Steve Hughes
Gainesville, FL