[TR] OIL SLINGER (ROBIN)

Robin Watson robinwmgb at gmail.com
Mon Oct 2 07:02:26 MDT 2017

This Triumph list is new to me so I thought I would give it a try to see if
I can get the workings of the list right. After WW 2 in 1945 and the
British were once more allowed to drive again, I (Robin) at the age of
eleven started to help my Dad Fred working on cars and motor bikes. With
reference to the oil slinger (or oil deflector) which is what it is a
“deflector” if you look at the picture in the Triumph workshop manual
showing the longitudinal view of the oil circulation you can see the
arrowed lines of oil that is thrown from underneath the chain from the
front cam shaft bearing and then has to fall back to the bottom of the
timing cover where it drains into the sump (oil pan). Some of the excess
oil drops in front of the chain and if you look carefully at the picture
you can see the concave of the deflector is facing to the front and helps
keeps excess oil deflected from the seal and backwards towards the drain. I
too have at last just started to restore a 1960 TR 3A working on the
mechanics before I start on the body.