[TR] help needed with persistent gas smell

Kinderlehrer kinderlehrer at comcast.net
Sun Oct 1 17:08:49 MDT 2017

My brother is really enjoying the TR3A he bought several months ago, except for the smell of gas in his garage every morning. The car was recently restored but he had all the fuel lines and carburetors checked by a British car mechanic shop. He had the overflow blocked to no avail, I convinced him to replace the gas tank suspecting pin hole leaks at the bottom and that didn’t help either. The smell is strongest inside the trunk so I suggested that he blow up a balloon inside the filler and see what happens. No smell so he had the hose from the filler to the tank replaced, but the smell returned. Next he covered the filler with a plastic bag, The smell went away but if he took it for a short drive with the bag in place, the smell returned after he parked the car in the garage.

Other than replacing the filler cap, I am out of ideas. We considered plugging up the vent hole in the filler cap, but he won’t be able to drive very far like that. Has anybody struggled with this issue and found a solution? Anyone have any ideas on what might be going on here?

Thanks for any help,

Bob