[TR] help needed with persistent gas smell

Reihing, Randall S. Randall.Reihing at utoledo.edu
Sun Oct 1 18:33:32 MDT 2017

You might try to see if a fuel compatible dye is available and use that, then look for the color. As an alternative, aviation fuel, for example, is color coded. The new 82UL av gas for low compression engines is dyed purple. The 100LL (Low Lead) av gas is blue and 100 octane with the normal amount of lead, is green.

As a suggestion, run the TR3 until the tank is dry, or drain it, and then fill with 5-10 gallons of commonly available, blue 100 LL at your local county airport and fill the TR3 tank with that. This is not cheap gas.Most 100 LL is around $5.25/gallon so if you only buy 5 gallons it might be a good idea to make sure the TR3 tank is empty first so you don't dilute the color. Then use some white paper towels to look for blue stains around the outside of the tank.

Don't be concerned about the 100 octane being more than the TR3's required octane. It cannot harm the engine and if the engine still has the original valve seats, the lead will be beneficial. If the engine has the newer hardened valve seats, the lead will not be an issue.

Other thoughts: Any chance the fumes might be a leak from the fuel pump if the car still has the older stock fuel pump with the primer handle? Or maybe an overflow from the carburetors that would only occur while the engine is running? For that last one you have to observe the engine while it's idling and watch for drips exiting from somewhere around the carburetors, perhaps dripping onto the floor.

Hope that helps.

Randall S.