[TR] adding wire wheels

Reihing, Randall S. Randall.Reihing at utoledo.edu
Mon Nov 13 06:36:34 MST 2017

Hello All,

I continue to learn from this list and truly appreciate this "Triumph Community" and the knowledge everyone freely shares. A 1960 TR3A I purchased had beautiful wire wheels with excellent tires. It was a nice, smooth driving car, with nothing out of balance. Eventually those wire wheels were removed for new tires and I learned why I should have removed and inspected those same wire wheels before buying the car.

At new tire time I discovered two of the four wire wheels were mounted to hubs that had the longer studs used for steel wheels. A prior owner, converting from the original factory steel wheels, to wire wheels, had aggressively ground reliefs into the back of two of the wire wheels center hubs to provide clearance for the longer studs used with steel wheels. The other two wire wheels were not tampered with.

This shortcut had, in my opinion, compromised the integrity of the critical center hub on both "modified" wire wheels. They were replaced with new wheels and I was grateful neither one of those compromised wheels had not spontaneously failed and/or separated from the car while driving. Most buyers would never consider removing and inspecting the inner surface of each wire wheel on a car so equipped but if I ever buy another car with wire wheels, it is something I will ensure is done before purchase.

Sincerely,

Randall Reihing