[TR] TR4 + alternator + headers

Randall TR3driver at ca.rr.com
Thu Mar 16 10:42:29 MDT 2017

> I wired her up according to Randall's scheme but ended up putting a 30 amp
> circuit breaker in the heavy line between the alternator and the Control
> Box ( which doesn't control anything anymore.) Maybe unnecessary but makes
> me feel good.

30 amps is awfully small.  I daresay you won't feel as good the first time
it's a bit hard to start (or you left the lights on), and the fuse blows
when the engine starts.  All it takes is for the battery to be down a bit
and the alternator will go to full rated output (or even a bit beyond) when
the engine starts.

> Started right up and is pumping out 13.5-6 volts at 2000 or so rpm.  To my
> surprise, the ammeter needle still hovers around the midpoint

That is actually as it should be.  The ammeter reads current into or out of
the battery, so it should be close to zero most of the time (meaning that
the alternator is supplying whatever power the car needs, and the battery is
fully charged).

-- Randall