[TR] Ball joint fitment

Andrew Uprichard auprichard at uprichard.net
Thu Jul 13 17:08:31 MDT 2017

Hey, Dave:

I started life as a physician.  But not just an MD, but an MD, PhD.  Bad combination.  The “do what is needed” of the MD is always challenged by the “but do data support it?” of the PhD.  When a patient came into the ER with a dangerously low blood count, the PhD in me said “you must find out the cause” while the MD was screaming “transfuse !!”

So fast forward to retirement and cars.  Not a good mix for my left brain.  I have had to re-program all my trainings to deal with the “it doesn’t fit” and the “but it isn’t  the same as previously”.

I guess what I am saying is you are dealing with 2 opposing factors here:  does this affect the camber of the wheel and does the cotter pin still secure the nut ?  The problem is not whether a washer is included or not.

I would think (but am open to correction) that the most important thing is the camber of the wheel (should be zero, I believe) and then deal with whether the ball joint allows for the cotter pin or not.  If the camber is OK, then drill another hole, or use a washer.  But I learned a long time ago that wishing the parts would meet my expectations was an exercise in futility.

Just my 2 cents…….

Andrew Uprichard

Jackson, Michigan