[TR] can I put my empty gearbox in the dish washer.for cleaning?

Doug Mathews mathews at uga.edu
Sun Jan 22 09:11:50 MST 2017

Way back in time, circa 1978, I put my tr4 oil pan in the dishwasher. Of
course the wife at the time was gone..after it finished its cycle, I
took the oil pan out and it looked a lot better than the dishwasher did.
Inside the dishwasher was a layer of  oil scum and I figured I had best
get that out before the wife came home. I decided that ammonia would do
the job but I am not sure what mechanism I came up for that decision. No
internet back then.

Well I got that started and left the kitchen but it was not very long
that smelled the strong odor of ammonia and thinking that cannot be
right went to the kitchen and there was this mass of suds coming out of
the dishwasher and was all over the hardwood kitchen floor. I stopped
the dishwasher and started mopping and wiping up the floor when guess
who came home. The wife was not at all pleased when I told here what I
had done but she left me to my work of cleaning up.

After wiping up the floor, washing it off, and letting it dry I had even
more good news. The part of the floor where the ammonia flowed was now
missing its wax.

So now I had to strip the rest of the kitchen floor, re wax it, and
rebuff it. I tried to make the situation better with the wife buy
telling her how clean the dishwasher was and how nice the floor looked.
It did not work.

Doug