[TR] fix for a stripped TR3 hood hinge bolt

Randall TR3driver at ca.rr.com
Sat Jan 7 20:29:55 MST 2017

> I know I can buy another one for 50 bucks at Moss but wonder if epoxy
> would work or maybe trying to re thread with an oversize stainless steel
> bolt?

I've tried epoxy, no luck.  New hinges are only about $25 each at TRF, which
to me isn't enough to mess with trying to install an oversize bolt (and have
it either break through the side or weaken it so it breaks again).

If you do get a new one, I recommend removing the studs and chasing the
holes with the appropriate bottoming tap.  Grind the end of the stud flat if
necessary, so you get maximum thread engagement.  Then flush the threads
with solvent and let it dry before adding a few drops of high strength
Loctite and lightly torquing the studs into place with doubled nuts.

I used to break them all the time, but I've only had one broken since I
started doing that (and that was because a friend tried to open the trunk
lid too far).

Oh yeah, watch that you get them on the right sides.  They are "handed", but
it's easy to overlook the difference.

-- Randall