[TR] tr-3 rear motor bearing

Randall TR3driver at ca.rr.com
Mon Apr 17 08:52:54 MDT 2017

> Maybe I have gotten better with time and the leaks are unrelated to the

> rear seal, but I was wondering if others had experience with both "fixes"

The whole reason the Viton seal exists is because the design sold by Moss
doesn't work reliably.

I know of several people who have had the scroll ground off (for the earlier
rear seal conversion) only to find that it leaks far worse than the factory
seal.  One local club member had it professionally installed and the result
leaked so badly you could see the trail even when moving!  (It would also
coat your windshield if you followed behind for very long.)

One of the big problems was that for a long time, the instructions were
wrong!  Hard to imagine the level of frustration when Moss says, in effect,
you have to pull the crankshaft and "ungrind it" because they gave you the
wrong information!  But that was a long time ago; I assume they have managed
to fix that by now.

Not that Moss is entirely at fault either.  The instructions I got from
Racetorations (via BFE) had been hand-corrected several times with larger
diameters.

Here's an old article, originally published in the TRSC newsletter, with
some other tips on getting the old conversion to work.

https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B2H2NJt34OffYWRiYWEzY2YtNDQxMy00ZTA1LTg4ND
QtOWNhZDVkOTI1MzE5

Personally, I can't see any reason to keep fighting with the old so-called
improvement.  The Viton design appears better in every aspect (except you
can't buy it from Moss).  Be sure to get the updated metal centering mandrel
as well.

http://www.the-vintage-racer.com/index.php/categoryhome/engine-components/pr
oduct/53-vsk-t34

-- Randall