[TR] What is This Car?

Keith Stewart keithstewart at bell.net
Sun Apr 9 18:14:53 MDT 2017

On 4/9/2017 3:32 PM, Keith Stewart wrote:

I had one of those so many years ago. It was called a Renault Gordini.
Gordini was the tuner not Abarth. I don't remember it as a 5 speed. It did
have a tuned header and a very vague shifter.

Rodney Ford
Brick, NJ
TR 4A irs
TR 7 Spider

. and one of my mechanics back in the 60s drove a Renault Gordini in major
North American rallies. If I remember correctly, he won the Shell 4000 in
that car.

Um, there might be some confusion here.  There was a Gordini version of the
Dauphine, but the rally cars began with, I believe, the Gordini version of
the Renault 8, which was a boxier-looking rear-engined sedan.  Here's an R8
Gordini circa 1964:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded
<https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=yBnCC-AbBBY>
&v=yBnCC-AbBBY

During the `60s and `70s, there were other Gordinis, based on the R5, R12
and the R17.  For a while, Gordini was a separate tuner, and produced cars
in the same way Carroll Shelby produced Shelby Mustangs, or AMG did with
Mercedes.  Like AMG and Mercedes, Gordini was eventually folded into
Renault's Sport division.

Cheers.

--

Michael Porter
Roswell, NM

Never let anyone drive you crazy when you know it's within walking
distance....
++++++++++++++++
Serves me right for trying to go from memory. Haydn Gozzard (London Ontario)
drove a Renault R8 Gordini to victory in the 1970 Shell 4000 Rally. In 1971,
he expected to have the R12 Gordini but it did not arrive so he drove the
1970 winning car to victory again in 1971. The Rally covered 5000 miles
across Canada starting in Ottawa Ontario and ending at mile 0 of the
TransCanada Highway in Victoria British Columbia. In one of the earlier
rallies, Triumph entered a factory team of TR4s (Wedgewood Blue) with alloy
bodies. The cars were left in Canada following the rally and I seem to
recall someone associated with Triumph Canada bought one but sold it a
little later because he was fearful of the easy damage and high cost to
repair, associated with the alloy body.