[TR] What is This Car?

Michael Porter mdporter at dfn.com
Sun Apr 9 17:58:01 MDT 2017

On 4/9/2017 3:32 PM, Keith Stewart wrote:

> I had one of those so many years ago. It was called a Renault Gordini.
> Gordini was the tuner not Abarth. I don't remember it as a 5 speed. It
> did have a tuned header and a very vague shifter.
>
> Rodney Ford
> Brick, NJ
> TR 4A irs
> TR 7 Spider
>
> … and one of my mechanics back in the 60s drove a Renault Gordini in
> major North American rallies. If I remember correctly, he won the
> Shell 4000 in that car.

Um, there might be some confusion here.  There was a Gordini version of
the Dauphine, but the rally cars began with, I believe, the Gordini
version of the Renault 8, which was a boxier-looking rear-engined
sedan.  Here's an R8 Gordini circa 1964:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=yBnCC-AbBBY

During the `60s and `70s, there were other Gordinis, based on the R5,
R12 and the R17.  For a while, Gordini was a separate tuner, and
produced cars in the same way Carroll Shelby produced Shelby Mustangs,
or AMG did with Mercedes.  Like AMG and Mercedes, Gordini was eventually
folded into Renault's Sport division.

Cheers.

--

Michael Porter
Roswell, NM

Never let anyone drive you crazy when you know it's within walking distance....