[TR] TR6 brake master cylinder

Geo Hahn ahwahneetr at gmail.com
Wed Mar 30 14:00:32 MDT 2016

On Wed, Mar 30, 2016 at 10:42 AM, Jeff Scarbrough <fishplate at gmail.com>
wrote:

On Tue, Mar 29, 2016 at 6:04 PM, Dave Connitt <dconnitt at fuse.net> wrote:
> > I have read many posts on
> > this list where people have used DOT 5 with no issues
>
> I wonder how many people are running DOT 4 (Castrol GT LMA, et al.)
> without any problem?

I have had master cylinders fail, slaves leak, lines crack, brake
switches cease working and check valves gum up.  This was with DOT5.  And
before that with DOT4.  This over the course of 45 years of TRs.

The thing is - it is easy to find examples of brake issues or problems -
the bugaboo is deciding if there is a causal relationship to the brake
fluid formula being used.

I've used DOT5 exclusively for the past 16 years and really can't say that
brake parts have failed less or more in that time.  I can say that its
harmlessness to paint makes it much easier to work with.

Geo