[TR] TR6 brake master cylinder

Irv Korey emanteno at comcast.net
Sat Mar 26 23:08:15 MDT 2016

On Sat, Mar 26, 2016 at 6:36 PM, Creig Houghtaling <creig555 at live.com>
wrote:

> Just got a TR6. The brake MC was leaking. I bought a rebuild kit and
> rebuilt it today. Put it back in the car and it leaked worse than before.
> The MC is relatively new, so I have come to the conclusion it is an after
> market unit and my rebuild kit was for an original MC.
>
> So now I am in the market for a new master cylinder. I have a friend with
> a TR6 after market MC that is about a year old and it is leaking too. I
> think maybe there are some bad after market master cylinders out there.
>
> Does anybody have any advice on how to find a good one?

The last time I was in the market for a MC for the TR6, I called Ted
Schumacher (NFI). At the time, he told me that there were 3 available:

cheap Asian knockoff - not recommended - cheapest, under $100 at the time
TRW brand, produced in Asia but "to TRW standards" - mid price, about $150
or so at the time
genuine Lucas/Girling NOS - about $300 at the time

On Ted's recommendation, I bought the TRW. It is now 5+ years later, and
with silicone brake fluid since Day 1, no leaks (knock on wood dash) or any
other issues.

HTH,

Irv Korey
74 TR6 CF22767U