[TR] Insurance question

Hoyt Duff hoytduff at gmail.com
Mon Mar 21 12:56:37 MDT 2016

On 3/21/16, Geo Hahn <ahwahneetr at gmail.com> wrote:
> I have Hagerty and am quite confident they will come through for me should
> the need arise.
>
> For many years I had the antique rider on a State Farm policy but when
> (after 40+ years) I at last had a claim (car hit in a motel parking lot
> overnight, other driver did not stick around) they were awful to deal
> with.  They had no real understanding of collector cars and couldn't even
> come up with an adjuster who spoke Spanish (to communicate with the shop).
>
> They low-balled the estimate with the expectation that the shop would then
> haggle with them until the appropriate amount was reached.  I thought the
> language barrier would be okay once I got an adjuster with a Latina name -
> but she was many generations removed from any ancestors who spoke Spanish.
> In the end the car got fixed but I dropped all my State farm coverage soon
> thereafter.
>
> Geo

My estimator did the same and low-balled the initial estimate. He had
no experience with hotrods (1937 Plymouth coupe) but he worked with
the shop and covered all the costs, which included making a new front
fender from scratch for $3,000. The total bill was $12,000.

I can see where the language barrier would be a problem for any
insurer if they had no one fluent in the local language.

--
Hoyt