[TR] Insurance question

Randall TR3driver at ca.rr.com
Mon Mar 21 13:56:53 MDT 2016

FWIW I've have all my cars insured through Mercury for over 20 years, and overall I've been quite happy with them.  Since my TR3 is
a daily driver (and gets parked outdoors), I can't use "collector" insurance.  My TR3 is insured on a "stated value" basis, which
some will see as a big disadvantage, but has worked out OK for me.  The main problem is that I tend to put off increasing the amount
(meaning I'm self-insured for the difference between what I've told them and the car's actual value).

Their initial estimate on my most recent TR3 mishap was rather low, but I suspect that was my fault for an off-hand comment to the
adjuster.  Since I couldn't seem to find a shop willing to give an estimate (or work on the car); I submitted a detailed
counter-estimate in writing, which they accepted (less a token amount of $20) and paid to me.

Only hassle was that they wanted to see the repaired car or else take it off the policy.  I was a bit slow in getting it repaired
but didn't want to take it off, so they threatened to cancel the entire policy.  But my agent (who is also very good to work with)
talked them into an extension after I explained the situation.

Randall