[TR] Girling rear brakes

Alan & Lyn Dunscombe dunscomb at chch.planet.org.nz
Fri Mar 18 18:29:45 MDT 2016

Well, after 30 plus years ownership it finally happened. Snapped a
"half-shaft" in the "Lockheed" rear axle on my long-door TR2, pulling
away from traffic lights.

In anticipation of this I have had a later TR3 type complete rear end
assembly sitting in the garage to replace it. Trouble was it was always
a "Winter project", but winters came & went without me ever doing it.
Now was the time.

It took me a bit longer than I anticipated as I went through it &
replaced all the brake components with new parts before I did the swap.
But I did the whole job on my own, complete with a "dicky shoulder",
including removal of the old assembly and lifting in the new one. Even
bleeding the brakes with an "EzyBleed" system.

The hardest part? Fitting those wheel cylinders onto the backing plate
with that damned stupid 3-pce. locking-plate/shim system assembly. Then
after the final assembly it took me about 8 attempts at adjustment to
stop the LHS brakes dragging. RHS perfect first time, but not the left.
A final bonus... now the handbrake works significantly better than it
ever did since I had the car.

Finally, a question for Randall or someone, are the wheel cylinders
meant to slide back & forth in the slot in the brake backing plate?
(Mine seemed to end up right at one end of the slot.)

Alan TS3612