[TR] Girling rear brakes

Randall TR3driver at ca.rr.com
Fri Mar 18 19:02:53 MDT 2016

> The hardest part? Fitting those wheel cylinders onto the
> backing plate with that damned stupid 3-pce.
> locking-plate/shim system assembly.

That's odd.  Seems pretty easy to me, once you figure out that ALL of the diagrams are WRONG!  Follow the text in the workshop
manual, and it works pretty good.

> Finally, a question for Randall or someone, are the wheel
> cylinders meant to slide back & forth in the slot in the
> brake backing plate? (Mine seemed to end up right at one end
> of the slot.)

Maybe not "back and forth", but they are supposed to be able to move with sufficient force applied.  That's how the shoes get
centered in the drum.  If it winds up bottomed in one end of the slot, you might want to swap leading and trailing shoes to see if
that centers better.

Randall