[TR] Ring Gear Bolts/Flywheel Bolts

Randall TR3driver at ca.rr.com
Thu Mar 3 14:50:30 MST 2016

> My question is: Should I use tab washers
> to lock the bolts on? I could use lockwashers and Loctite
> Blue and get better results, I think. Any nuggets of wisdom out there?

You're perhaps familiar with Carroll Smith's "Tune to Win" series of books?  The one he wanted to call "Screw to Win" has this to
say:

"So called 'lock washers' are popular in certain circles.  There is only one basic problem with lock washers, they don't work."

ISTR there is a similar comment in one of Kas Kastner's books on Triumph Preparation.  They both don't like lock tabs either, for
that matter.

My suggestion is original bolts (if they pass inspection) retained only with Loctite 243.  The ARP bolts are nice, but not needed
for engines that don't see a lot of time over 5000 rpm.

-- Randall