[TR] Removing Tie-rod 56TR3

davehogye dlhogye at comcast.net
Fri Jan 22 17:21:14 MST 2016

Oh, I see the car type in the thread title, duh.

Harold,
I'm thinking that you might be talking about the trunnion. If the trunnion is obviously worn and if you are going to disassemble the front suspension to replace it, then a total suspension rebuild would be in order.
The trunnion is the most expensive part to service correctly. An experience mechanic might be considered for this work. Studying a proper manual would be a good place to start.
To replace the trunnions, I would do both sides, there are bronze bushings in the a-arms that need to be replaced and honed to fit the new trunnions.
An automotive machinist should perform this job.
The rest of the rebuild is fairly easy.
I can guaranty that you would not regret rebuilding the suspension and steering if it is needed. It will transform the handling of your TR.

Best of luck,
Dave H.